Updating frequently

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Hate and politics



Sometimes, I utterly hate the fact that I work in news.
When I told my parents (back when I was still in uni) that I was changing my major from Film to Photojournalism, they were pretty confused.

"Aren't you the same one that refuses to watch the news with us? Because it makes your anxiety problem worse? Because it makes you paranoid?"

"Yes."

The conversation was similar when I told them that I just accepted the position I'm in now.

It's true, the news would(still does) make me utterly nervous and paranoid. My anxiety would go through the roof.

We've got several TV screens to view different stations, generally one for sports, one for local news and one for CNN.
So, there's news all the time.
Yesterday, I'm watching CNN and someone's at a rally for McCain/Palin and the people there are hideous.

And I don't mean in appearance.

They were shouting things like "Obama bin Laden!" "Don't vote for the negro!" "Kill him!" "Terrorist!"
There was even a guy holding up a stuffed monkey, and the monkey was supposed to represent Sen. Obama.

Really? Are you really doing this?

I'm not trying to pick sides, but are there people are Obama/Biden rallies doing similar ridiculous things? Not that I've seen.

This was in Ohio.

And people wonder why I hate the Heartland of the U.S.

I hate the fact that there are so many hiveminded people out there. I hate it and it scares me.
I also hate bigots, but that's common knowledge.

I have a column coming out this week. It's about being a decent human being when talking about politics. I'm sure I'm going to have plenty of hatemail.

I'll post a link when it's up.

God, I need a drink.

No comments: