Updating frequently

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Testosteroni


Disclaimer: it gets weird and personal here, folks. If you're not prepared with your ear muffs and haz-mat suit, I would suggest that you do not enter.

My day has been both eventful and uneventful. It was a bit of a downhill slope: random fits of crying, screaming and crossing my eyes (for pure entertainment's sake) turned into playing Knights of the Republic II and squeezing Easy Cheese directly into my mouth (for pure drowning sorrow's sake.)

My doctor's appointment started out alright. I was fully prepared to hear that: yes, I have PCOS and yes, I would have to take medication and yes, probably have to look out for diabetes and insulin problems. But after some waiting, some fidgeting and some sobbing on my part, I got out with at least some of my dignity intact. But, I'll have to go back in for a glucose check within the next week or so.

Here's a little insight to some of the problems I've been having because of PCOS: (as posted from WebMD.com)

Most common side effects of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome are:
  • Acne. (nope)
  • Weight gain and trouble losing weight. (yes :/ )
  • Extra hair on the face and body. Often women get thicker and darker facial hair and more hair on the chest, belly, and back. (<.<)
  • Thinning hair on the scalp. (nope)
  • Irregular periods. Often women with PCOS have fewer than nine periods a year. Some women have no periods. Others have very heavy bleeding. (yes :/)
  • Fertility problems. Many women with PCOS have trouble getting pregnant (infertility). (probably, but don't really care)
  • Depression. (:/ yeah)
  • Cysts on ovaries. (probably, but I've never done a ultrasound)
I have many of these, which pretty much clued in my doctor to my having PCOS.
I got a blood test to rule out PCOS, and when it came back positive, they requested another testing (much to my chagrin) to make sure it's not a false positive.
Well, annoyingly enough, my results weren't in. So, I'm waiting to hear back on those. And, I got a Tetanus shot. :(

So, I've been babying my left arm like a petulant child all day.

Even though my second results aren't in, my doctor still prescribed some medication to help relive some of the symptoms. After filling it, I looked in on it. Apparently, it's medication for high blood pressure and heart failure. :/ Excellent.

The side effects of the medication are crazy too: increased breast growth in men, increased urination, drowsiness, rashes and.... my voice might get deeper O.o
So if you get a call from me and it sounds like a dude, don't be alarmed.
Though, I'm confused, if the medication is supposed to cut out my extra androgens (testoserone), then why would it make my voice deeper?

And I have been having a difficult time losing weight, much to my pissed-off-ity (if such a word existed.) So, maybe that'll help out a bit.

No comments: