Updating frequently

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

From sage to scholar

According to Merriam-Webster: schol·ar
Pronunciation:
\ˈskä-lər\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English scoler, from Old English scolere & Anglo-French escoler, from Medieval Latin scholaris, from Late Latin, of a school, from Latin schola school
Date:
before 12th century

1: a person who attends a school or studies under a teacher : pupil
2 a: a person who has done advanced study in a special field b: a learned person
3: a holder of a scholarship

While in university, I was always asked if I minded being in school for so long. Or sometimes it was a teasing, “What are you going to be? A lifetime student?” I usually answered that I was a scholar and loved learning.
Now, most of the people who asked didn’t attend college/university; they did ‘their time’ in high school and that was it.
I on the other hand, reveled in the fact that I was going to university.
And now, I’m going back for more.

After much debate and back and forth, I’ve decided that I’m going to graduate school. I’ve always been interested in teaching on the higher learning end and English was always a favorite subject (after art, of course ☺)
So, I will be getting my MATL: Masters in Art in Teaching Languages; my emphasis in TESOL: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.

I’m so excited!

There’s so much to do:
Take the GRE
Get three letters of recommendation (one down, two to go)
Get my transcripts sent over
Fill out the application
And write an essay about myself and my goals :P

No comments: