Updating frequently

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Smart list of poor


I must admit that the last few weeks have been pretty depressing...
And by that, I mean the last few months; at least as far as the money front goes.

I suppose I should start chronicling my spiral from slightly above poor to dirt poor. From having a little spending money to living from paycheck to paycheck, worrying whether I'll have enough to pay all of my bills.

The past two evenings, I've had nothing but rice for dinner. I added some butter, salt and seasoning to make it a bit more like a meal. Except for yesterday, when I was out of butter.
This morning, I packed up the leftover rice and it became breakfast. Perhaps, if I had put some honey on it, it would have seemed more like breakfast and less like a random meal.

Tonight will be pasta with some alfredo sauce I picked up the last time I was able to go grocery shopping. I'll have to half it, so that I can make another meal out of it. Perhaps, have half with the alfredo sauce and the other half with tomato sauce.

Speaking of grocery shopping, it has become official that I can only buy groceries once a month, so I need to start getting smarter with figuring out what will last.

This is the list of smart buys so far:
Peanut butter
Rice
Tuna
Crackers
Bread (while a necessity, won't last a whole month. Will need to be to replenish as needed)
Soy milk (stays good for months if you don't open it; so you could stockpile it until you need it)
Pasta (uncooked in box lasts for a while; cooked and unsauced lasts for 3-4 days in fridge)
Cereal (makes a good lunch/dinner substitute)
Oatmeal (same as above)
Canned fruit
Canned vegetables
Fresh fruit (to keep away scurvy and insanity)

Slightly reminds me of the Absolutely Fabulous episode "Poor," except less fun, less drinking and more sane.

No comments: