Updating frequently

Monday, November 8, 2010

Rose vs the World

Recently watched Scott Pilgrim vs the World.
It's definitely a movie I would watch again.
The characters were weird but believable, the effects were fun and the music was pretty good too.
I'm not entirely sure why it got all of the backlash it did and still receives.

Anywho, the movie centers around Scott Pilgrim, an average twenty-something slacker in a band who becomes enamored with Ramona, a girl whose lovelife is, well, complicated. Pilgrim has to defeat her seven evil exes in order to continue dating her. He earns coins, 1-ups and a little self-respect along the way.

The world of Scott Pilgrim looks like average modern-day Canada, but it's tweaked a bit. You can travel in subspace, pull huge mallets (my personal weapon of choice) out of your purse and have vegan powers.
Perhaps that's what a lot of people have a problem with: they weren't able to fully able to suspend their disbelief and take the movie at face value.
It's not supposed to represent or teach anything... well, not really: having self-respect is good, cheating is bad, the girl (or boy) of your dreams may not be who you think they are.
It's just a movie for entertainment sake and I throughly enjoyed it.
Made me wish that I had actually started a band in high school and had a huge group of friends for constant hijinks.

I did have a few problems here and there with things that weren't explained. Like the starred doors; I didn't understand them until I read the comic. Subspace was only mentioned once, in an off-handish way, so the connection wasn't easy to make.

It's not movie of the year good, but it's certainly something I would watch again and again. Probably even buy my own copy. It comes out tomorrow, btw.
If you liked the movie, check out the soundtrack and original score.
And don't forget, the movie was based on the Scott Pilgrim comics, which are also pretty fun (actually, more fun).

For Technorati: 7MRZ7BZ5XDUP

No comments: